How to Apply– M.A. and Ph.D. Programs

Master’s and Doctoral Programs

How to Apply

For admission to the M.A. or Ph.D. program in Research Methods, Measurement, and Evaluation, it is recommended that you apply by December 1.

  1. Assemble the following materials in electronic format (MS Word or PDF are recommended):
    •  Personal statement explaining your interest in the RMME program– please be as specific as possible about your reasons for seeking a Ph.D. in Research Methods, Measurement, and Evaluation, your research interests, and your prior experiences, as they relate to your decision to pursue the Ph.D.
    •  A current resume or CV
    • CT Residence Affidavit (for CT residents- necessary for in-state tuition)
    • GRE scores ARE NOT required for applicants to either the Ph.D. or the M.A. program. However, GRE scores may optionally be submitted as part of the supplemental materials for the application.
    • TOEFL or other documentation of language proficiency (international students)
    • Transcripts of all collegiate work completed to date
    • Contact information for three references/recommenders who will submit letters of recommendation on your behalf1
  2. Complete the Online Application to the Graduate School.

The graduate school oversees the admissions process, and we receive completed applications to review.  For logistical questions about applying to a graduate program in RMME, we recommend that you visit the UCONN graduate school website, and that you contact the graduate school with any questions about the online application process.

The Admissions Committee recommends completing the application process by December 1 for fullest consideration.

1During the application process, an applicant may be asked to provide contact information for three recommenders. The people submitting reference letters on your behalf may send their letters to our admissions office electronically through our application system. For those people who wish to submit their letter of reference on paper, please download and print a copy of our reference form and follow the directions for paper references. You must input the names and contact information for each provider, whether they will be submitting electronically or on paper. For those providers that wish to submit their letter electronically, be sure to mark “Yes” for the online submission question on the Provider Input Form.

A note about English Proficiency:

If you are not a native speaker of English, you are required to submit evidence of your proficiency in the English language. If you have received a degree in an English speaking University from English speaking country, you may qualify for a waiver.  Otherwise,  you may use the results (no more than two years old) from one of the following standardized tests to satisfy this requirement:

1.)    Receiving a score of 79 (electronic test) or 550 (paper based)  or higher on the TOEFL test.

2.)    Receiving a score of 6.5 on the IELTS test.

3.)    Receiving a score of 53 or higher on the PTE test, or

Please see the graduate school website for more information about this requirement.


Also, international applicants should visit the graduate school’s  International Applicant FAQs and their International Checklist.